- A food commissary offers room and facilities to make and prepare your food
- It is a designated parking spot for your food truck
- Ready hook up to power for charging your electric appliances and truck batteries
- Perform refills for essential consumables like water and propane cooking gas
- Grey water disposal point
- Cold storage space for food items
- Functions as the mailing address for inventory purposes
In some cities, you have no choice but to set up a recognized food truck commissary if you are to operate a street food business. Cities like Boston and Los Angeles have very strict regulations requiring street food sellers to have a licensed and dedicated central point of operation. You may have to undergo complete checks and licensing procedures similar to what an actual brick and mortar food establishment is subjected to.
2. Space and Efficiency in Food Preparation
Preparing your food at the back of your food truck may work well enough in the early days of your street food venture but the space will soon become inadequate as business picks up. Having a dedicated commissary offers you space and room for innovative food making and preparation. In addition, preparing food from a well equipped and spacious commissary is more hygienic, efficient and environmentally-friendly.
3. Ready Access to Large Equipment and Supplies
By having a central food truck commissary, you are guaranteed one central point where you can access equipment and supplies. This frees up essential room in your truck for carrying out the actual business of dispensing food. But the rest of the supplies and equipment you don't need for purposes of serving up the food will be allocated at the commissary. Think of your ovens, refrigerators, special utensils as well as all manner of food supplies and ingredients.
4. Networking Opportunities
Today there are thriving street food communities in major urban centers around the world. Whether you opt to park next to your fellow street foodies or cook and prepare food alongside them, a communal commissary offers you the perfect opportunity to network, learn new tricks and keep up to date with the latest developments in this thriving industry.